Hello and welcome! Thank you for joining me today for the launch of the first 2017 Hug a Heart Card Drive! The purpose of this card drive, which runs from 1/16/17 to 2/14/17, is to collect handmade heart theme (non-Valentine’s Day) cards such as “Thinking of You”, “Hello” or “Just Because” cards to distribute to the Heart Center patients at Nationwide Children’s Hospital during next month American Heart Month.Many patients do not realize they have heart disease and amongst these are patients who are born with defects called congenital heart disease. Throughout the year, the Heart Center at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, like many other hospitals, care for many patients with various forms of heart disease. American Heart Month is especially an important time to not only raise awareness but a time to promote healthy habits and improve patients’ health. Patients with congenital heart disease are particularly at risk and American Heart Month is a great time to help lift the spirits of these patients who are hospitalized and need major heart surgery or are having a particularly tough time.
ABOUT CONGENTIAL HEART DISEASE
UPCOMING BLOG HOP
IMPORTANT GUIDELINES FOR CARD DONATIONS
- Hug a Heart card drive is opens to both U.S. and International participants. Anyone is welcome to help make the cards, including young children.
- Deadline: This card drive ends on February 14th 2017. Please have your cards to us by February 14th.
- Card Types: handmade cheerful “heart” theme (non-Valentine’s Day) cards such as Thinking of You, Hello, or Just Because cards for children between ages of 1 to 19. As long there are hearts on the cards, it counts.
- Greetings (Sentiments) on your cardfront is optional. But if you do include one, here are some suggestions: sending hugs, sending smiles, thinking of you, wishing you a beautiful day, hello and Happy Heart Day. NO Valentine’s Day greetings please.
- Inside of cards: Please do not stamp or write inside the card. Keep it completely blank so hospital staff may write a personal message to each individual patient. If using a dark colored card base, please adhere a white or light colored piece of cardstock to the inside of card to make it easier for patients to read the hand-written message.
- Card size: please try to keep it to an A2 size card (finished 4.25”x5.5”).
- Back of cards: This is completely optional. You may include a label “handmade by + your name + Hug a Heart Card Drive 2017” to the back of your card. It can be a hand-written, stamped or small computer printout label.
- Please include an envelope for each card. Do not seal the envelope.
- Please do not use loose glitter as it will get on hands and into eyes.
- Please keep embellishments to a minimum and avoid using any that might be unsafe for young children.
HOW TO PACKAGE YOUR CARDS
WHERE TO MAIL YOUR CARDS
“THANK YOU” PRIZES
- Heart Panda digi set by Christina Hor – everyone that send in cards will receive this pencil sketched Heart Panda digi set of mine. The set also come with this gorgeous sentiment by the lovely Donna Ellis, made for the Hug a Heart Card Drive.
- Craft Goodies – to two random U.S. participants. Each a box of craft goodies, value at $25.
- $25 Simon Says Stamp Gift Certificate – to two random International participants.
- $50 Simon Says Stamp Gift Certificate: everyone that send in 30+ cards will be enter into this drawing.
SHARE THE MESSAGE
Please help share with others about Hug a Heart Card Drive and brighten a heart patient’s day this February’s Heart Month by displaying the Hug a Heart Card Drive banner below on your blog’s sidebar as well on social media. Please use hashtag #hugaheartcarddrive when sharing on social media. Thank you so kindly!